Patrick: More an academic question than practical, since I don't ride for
hours in temps just over 0F (we got down to 9*F the other morning, but I
stayed in side), but I wonder: does the second layer, worn over fishnet,
itself have to be wicking? I suppose a non-wicking synthetic would not do,
as it would (despite the fishnet) still trap the moisture?

My question is not entirely idle, since I just realized I have an old
Polartec pullover meant to be worn as a second layer... it's not quite
fleece; has weird squares or half cubes as interior finish. Feels nice over
cotton t shirt when inside and nice and dry.

FWIW, my experience -- old, since I gave them up 15+ years ago -- with even
good synthetics in cold is that they all felt clammy when you stopped and
sweated; wool does not. But I wondered if fishnet would make a difference

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 9:18:49 AM UTC-8, Deacon Patrick wrote:

> I’ve gotten a number of off list questions about boiled wool, so I
thought I’d post a compilation of my responses here:
https://thegrid.ai/withabandon/of-fishnet-long-johns-and-boiled-wool/