Glad to discover at least one other person dumb enough to ride the Colorado
Trail fully rigid!

I recently built a modern mountain bike with 27.5x2.8 tires to replace some
29x2.4 tires. the 2.8" was a lot of heft at first but I got used to it. At
higher pressures, it can roll pretty quickly. Even at 20-25 psi you can
plod along pretty fine. The ability to ride through any terrain, including
the loose sand found in Baja, has been indispensable. 29x2.8 would, of
course, be heavier and better suited for a larger rider.

Now I couldn't tell you about the fixed gear part. Sounds hard.