This very same topic came up recently on the iBob list. Here is my take.

I've been riding fixed since about 1996; almost exclusively fixed since
2004 or so, if not earlier. I've also ridden ss (1X1) off road, after
trying fixed off road and disliking it. I ride in rolling terrain and in
often windy conditions.

My brother offered me a converted Schwinn Tempo circa 1996. I scoffed,
thinking fixed riding was a pose (this was 10 years before the hipster
fixie craze, now long passed). I tried it, liked it (good thing the Tempo,
tho' a tank, was a nice handling bike) and successively built of many
different fixed variations, including a 60" 26" mountain bike using an ENO
hub. I bought a custom gofast fixie from Riv in '99, still, if I'm honest,
my favorite bike; and then converted 2 other Riv customs to fixed. I
commuted for a number of years across town, 30 miles rt, on a fixed gear.

1. Try it and see. If nothing else, put your multigeared bike in a
low-to-middle gear and don't shift. That will give you a pretty good idea
of ss -- to state the obvious. It will give you a faint taste of riding
fixed.

2. You will adapt to fixed. The easy adaptation is physical -- you'll find
that you can climb surprisingly well in a gear in the 60s or 70s. Mental
adaptation takes longer, at least it did me; to learn not to fight
headwinds was the biggest lesson and took longest to learn. Now I fight
wind far less than I used to. (Note: A drop bar or a bar that lets you tuck
in and down is very useful as a "headwind gear.")

3. What is so nice? For me -- and I emphasize that this is my own peculiar
(in sense of "individual" and also in sense of "odd") taste -- is the
simplicity and "elegance," which basically comes down to doing more with
less, and second, to adapting to conditions rather than (in a sense) making
conditions adapt to you. I love having to, so to speak, plan ahead for
hills and back off early so that I have energy to make it all the way up. I
like the huge variation in cadence and torque -- in fact, both now, and
even before I rode fixed, I generally shifted far less than I could have
for hills and winds and loads.

A second pleasure is the feeling of smoothness and efficiency. I don't
believe in the "flywheel effect" but there is indeed something particularly
smooth about riding fixed; this all the more as your wheels get taller and
heavier -- I actually feel it less on my 26" wheel Riv fixies, not to
mention my Dahon Hon Solo. One memorable fixed gear bike was a 1960s
Paramount track bike borrowed from my brother; at one point he had -- I
have to laugh -- shod it (simply because he flipped scores of bikes and
wheels and wanted to try these on something convenient) with 48 spoke
wheels laced to oh-so-utterly-smooth Campy Record hubs (the 1960s kind).
That was like perpetual motion, and I only exaggerate a bit.

I cannot say that I ever "felt at one with the bike" as so many fixed gear
enthusiasts claim.

Gearing: I started out on the road with a 63" gear and quickly found it too
low. Went to ~67-8 and then to 70"; I find 70 good for commuting and errand
riding in the conditions I described. I like 75" or so for my light gofast
bike.

I will be 64 shortly, and I can't stand and climb for several miles like I
used to, so I've added lower gears on the flip side of my flip flop hubs.
60" is a good climbing gear for me, but the main lesson is a 10" or so drop
from your flatland cruising gear.

All of this is for pavement and rolling/windy conditions. Steep technical
dirt: 50" or thereabouts has long been a gear of choice. Me, with my
Monocog 29er ss, I used a 63" gear that got me up most hills and through
most sand. You shouldn't mind walking.

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 12:52 PM Friend <jtpc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rivendell Friends,
> I have rarely ever experienced a single speed bike.  I can count the
> number of times one one hand I have ridden one.  I know have the
> opportunity to build up a AHH and am considering a single speed, or a
> 1x9(or 10,11,12).  Then reading Rivs email today I saw Will rides a 2x1.
>
> *What do you like about riding a 1x(X) or a single speed?*
>
> *What are pros and cons of different gear configurations?*

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*Still 'round the corner there may waitA new road or a secret gate,And
though we pass them by today,Tomorrow we may come this wayAnd take the
hidden paths that runTowards the Moon or to the Sun.*
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique