Thanks all.

For context, I have more clearance in the rear than on the front on my
non-riv bike that I've been wanting to ride up in the mud as of late (its
been semi-rainy here, and some trails drain better than others). I also
slashed a couple tires so I have a hodgepodge of mis-matched tires that am
trying to make work for my riding without having to buy replacements yet.

In general, it sounds like throw a knobby upfront and put a slick in the
back (and obviously do double knobbys in normal situations)

Andy, thank goodness I don't have to deal with snow or super cold weather!