I did the same this past year.  I have a late 2011 DTT 60 Sam that I used
for everything.  It is great, but struggles with heavy touring loads.  I
ordered a MUSA 62 Atlantis for the heavier stuff and have shifted the Sam
to casual, more spritely riding.  There is plenty of overlap, but the Sam
is now much lighter and de-racked.  I run a handlebar bag and small Swift
seat bag for essentials.  The Atlantis now has the touring racks and basket
and takes various load configurations without a hitch.  The surprise has
been, how good it rides with nothing but me on the saddle.  No matter which
bike I hop on, I'm treated to a smile inducing ride!  I love 'em both.

Both bikes are 700c and I haven't been bothered by toe overlap unless my
footwear has moved way forward on the pedals, so I assume the issue is non
existent with the MIT Atlantis in the 650b.

Go for it, and set them up to compliment each other.

Rusty
Pgh, PA