The trip is scheduled for this weekend and there’s been a major, heart-breaking
knick in the paint job of my beautiful plan. Is it the strep throat my older
son got diagnosed with last night? No. It’s much worse than that; in fact, it’s
so bad, I’m liable to be kicked off this List. And it’s all because I was
trying to accommodate (read: manipulate) the yahoos.

I have decided we’re going to do that Marvin Braude path (also called The
Strand). It is flat and 20 miles long, and it goes through several
beaches/beach towns - what could be better? The problem is that my husband
would never ride 20 miles, flat land or not. I’m one step ahead of him, so I
offered him an e-bike, which is a diet-motorcycle (like a motorcycle, but
without the guilt!), which is the stuff his dreams are made of. There’s a
rental place near the beginning of The Strand, and for the nominal fee of $24,
he can have the diet motorcycle for the entire day. Sold. He’s all in. Then he
notices they have rentals for children. “Hey, L!” he called to my younger son.
“Do you want an e-bike?! It’s like a motorcycle!”

Well. I had noticed this too, and had thought it may make sense for my younger
son. He’s only 10, and he doesn’t have the luxurious Rivendell ride like the
other 3 of us. But if you get one for one son, you are going to have to offer
it to the other. And this is the crisis which I am now having. I had imagined
lovely, beach-front photos with our fleet of Rivendells, lugged and lovely,
doing exactly what they were created to do, and in their homeland. I had hoped
that we might run into other folks on Rivendells, maybe even some of you, and
we could meet in real life and it would be so grand.

Instead, we may be pictured with one lovely Rivendell among the warts that are
the e-bikes. I can’t put those pictures on this List! I don’t want them on next
year’s family calendar!

So, I am essentially a hostage to the e-bikes. The yahoos will go along with 40
miles of bike riding if they can do it with a motor. Do I want to have a good
ride or do I want to have the Rivendell bike experience? YES. So, you see how
I’m stuck. My older son, the Clem Rider, says we are taking his Clem. He does
truly love his bike. But I have a feeling when his dad and brother are zipping
around all effortless with Cheshire cat grins, he will go over to the dark and
electrified side.

Why are they like this?!?
Leah