All this yes.
Nine speed is where I've been for a long time, and just jumped to 11sp on
some bikes. Larger 11sp cassettes fit on 9sp (8/9/10) hubs, because the
biggest cog is dished. You'll be fine for a long time. 10sp doesn't offer
me anything, but 11sp cassettes are actually nice. I like wide range
chainrings, and narrow-range cassettes, or at least close-spaced mid-high
gears. I mostly settled on 9sp gear because my dingle fixed setups need the
narrow chain, if that's worth anything (more like a warning).

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA