My down-tube shifter mounts were NOT an option: I had Joe Bell and his
team file off the stock cable housing braze-ons and then braze on the
down-tube shifter mounts when they had it for the paint. I had
Rivendell send it to JB with just primer on it to get the custom color
I wanted (Toyota's Barcelona Red as seen on the Prius and perhaps
other models). I have bar-end shifters on many of my bikes, but never
warmed up to the look of the housings, nor even the shifters. I've
used D/T shifters off-road before (which this bike was purchased to do
often) and they are not always ideal in certain bumpy, hair
situations, but I don't mind the compromise of a clean, aesthetic look
and very snappy shifting in exchange for having to sit down on
occasion to shift gears (actually, you just have to stop pedaling to
shift if you want to stay off the saddle).

I don't know what this bike weighs. Sorry. I don't have a scale and
don't really care that much. If I were guessing, which I will right
now, I'd say 18 pounds, but I really don't know. My main three other
bikes (RB-1, Kestrel 4000, and I forget which other) all weigh 21
pounds with 7-speed freewheel, 28-spoke, quill stem set-ups. Obviously
this Roadeo has much lighter features when just considering those
three factors. I wasn't trying to go super light when I set it up.
Literally I just used stuff I had laying around. The only new stuff I
purchased for this build were the derailleurs and chain.

I'll post more photos when I complete the second build-up, which will
eliminate the carbon parts and bring back my traditional Brooks
Swallow with ti rails. I'll have three wheel options so this will
truly be "the one bike to rule them all" - As seen currently with
"fast" low spoke count Ritchey race wheels and 23mm Ritchey tyres; or
with Chris King hubbed 32-hole wheels with 32-38mm cyclocross tyres;,
or with Dura Ace hubbed 32-hole wheels with 33mm Jack Browns. I
suppose, just for fun on occasion I can put on some tubulars when I
pretend I'm racing RAAM again with a pro mechanic behind me to change
my flats (which never occurred over 3,127 miles), so there will be a
fourth wheel option to silken the ride even more.

- Chris Kostman
La Jolla, CA
http://www.XO-1.org

PS If you're in SoCal, come ride me me next Saturday, March 27,
leaving at 8am from Major's Diner in Pine Valley to ride loops 2 and 3
of the Mount Laguna Bicycle Classic route (the event itself will take
place April 17). Info: http://www.adventurecorps.com/mlbc/