Velo Cult is the only shop I frequent down here in the San Diego
region. They are great guys, very eclectic and fun, and true cycling
advocates and enthusiasts. Owner Sky Boyer (how's that for a cool
cycling name?) loaned me a part from one of his personal Chris King
headsets to help me get my Rivendell Roadeo on the road recently;
that's the kind of guy he is and the kind of shop they are. He's an
accomplished mountain bike and cyclocross racer, too, and "wise beyond
his age," as he's pretty darn young to have such a great shop and such
a broad view of cycling. (You wouldn't believe their "warehouse" -
seriously, they could charge for tours. Their shop's retail floor is
totally fascinating with the most amazing collection of interesting
bikes for sale. That selection is just 1/10th as amazing as what's in
their warehouse. It's like Velo Cult is a magnet or vortex for funky,
one-of-a-kind, and "impossible to find" classic bikes of a very wide
variety, even mountain bike tandems from the early 80s, just to name
one niche they are also into.)

They also founded and moderate http://www.sdbikecommuter.com, which
covers all types of cycling, not just commuting. They also were the
main proponents of the recent San Diego Tweed Ride.

They have a very image-heavy blog and are developing an online museum
on it and their website: http://www.velocult.com/ Sky and employee /
photographer Anthony even came over to our house a while back to
photograph most of my bikes, frames, and some of the more interesting
and/or odd-ball parts for the museum. (The shots are not online yet,
but I'll feel better about selling 90% of this stuff when they are
documented online in their museum.)

Any trip anywhere near San Diego by a cyclist must include a stop at
Velo Cult!

- Chris Kostman
La Jolla, CA
http://www.XO-1.org