Roberta, one thing to watch for: the minimum insertion line is designed for
not-tall steerers so can be a little deceiving. Rivs come with quite a bit of
steerer jutting above the headtube, which reveals itself to your eye as an
adjusting nut with flats right at the headtube, then some spacers, then the
other fixing nut on top of that.

What you want to do is get a general sense of where the insert marks are, then
estimate down from that spot where the wedge is. The wedge needs to be firmly
below the lower nut.

Now here's where one tool comes in if you'd like to give it a whirl, I'll send
you the correct Allen wrench no charge, I have a ton of them:

Look straight down at the stem, you'll see a bolt. That's it, that's your
adjustment for raising/lowering the stem. You get your wrench in there and give
it a good tug counterclockwise to break the wedge loose, then pull it up 'til
you see the insertion marks. At this stage if you have the stock stem it's
probably WAY too high, so just drop that baby down, tighten the bolt again
(good and tight, but not massively cranking on it), and you've adjusted your
bike!

If it's close to where you want it, pull up to get an idea where the
wedge/bottom-of-stem is, then sink it back down to where you're confident the
wedge is deep enough.

Holla at me if you want the wrench at joeremi62 - gmail - com. Completely free
no charge gratis, I got too many!

Joe Bernard
Novato CA.