Hey Tom! I read Grant’s comments differently: the category of riding that is
more akin to hiking (and then NOT racing thru-hiking) in it’s mindset,
approach, demeanor, and action is lost in the noise and hype of MTB media and
racing oriented bike stores. Living here on Pikes Peak, I wholeheartedly agree.
Pre-e-bike, the only thing slowing people down on the trails was gravity and
their fitness. When e-bikes catch on here (and i fear it is if, not when),
they’ll be running over old folks and racoons and butterflies on the uphills
too. I can’t buy anything at my one LBS because it is all racing bike =
mountain bike = racing bike. So, people who don’t know you don’t have to race
to ride, don’t learn so from the industry at large. Thus, I hear Grant
attempting to seperate out racing from the mountain bike category, but ceeding
the term MTB = racing and going with hillybikeing. Can one hillybike, as you
describe you already do on your modern rigid MTB, or on a full-suspension MTB?
Of course. It is 100% mindset. For which mindset Grant has built a few
offerings that eliminate the motorcycle racing gear that isn’t needed for
hillybiking and if used may well inadvertantly get in the way of learning how
to properly pick a line, slow down, and even, in utter delight rather than
dejected failure, LCG. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick