"I like the idea of doing it myself, and I don't want a machine to take it
over for me!"

As I get older I also find myself leaning more toward simple over complex.
Complex can be wonderfully convenient until it fails, and I've had two
indexing failures.  My first shifter fail was 9-sp Campy Chorus brifters.
I disassembled them to replace the worn G springs and to my shame, was
unable to reassemble them, so had to take them to a bike shop (I'm stubborn
about doing all my own wrenching, and this was before I was aware of
youtube videos on everything).  Also on that bike I was running Shimano
freewheels so had to be overly clever in changing cog spacer widths (thanks
Sheldon) to make the setup shift smoothly with Campy brifters.  My next
indexing failure was on a Shimano Bar-con, where the solution was simply to
lift the D ring and rotate the barrel to 'friction'.  I never gave indexing
much thought after that, as it was a solution to a problem I didn't have.
 I guess indexing and electronic shifting have their place, but not for the
kind of riding I do.

Jack - Seattle