As others have mentioned, the Vermonter (DC to St. Albans, VT, via NYC)
does allow bikes on board without the need to box them up -- they've
modified the luggage nook of a regular coach on that train so that the
bike's rear wheel is hung from a hook. Getting your bike on board through a
coach doorway, then rounding a corner to get into the passenger compartment
(while having panniers looped across my shoulders) is not as easy as simply
rolling it (or handing it off) to a dedicated baggage car, but it works,
and the online booking with bike was very straightforward (although they do
charge an additional $20, I believe).

Here's a photo from when I took the Vermonter from New Jersey to
Massachusetts for D2R2. I removed the front wheel as per instructions for
the ride up, but on the return trip, the conductor let me just hang the
bike intact, as there was enough room for the bike to hang.

https://flic.kr/p/WHg2Z6

Bob E.
Cranford, NJ

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/d2ff5b03-7153-4439-b487-446deae4e807%40googlegroups.com.