I'm mostly an urban rider with sandals, so my rides are more like 20 miles
and under.  I'm a big fan of these Keen Arubas
<https://www.zappos.com/p/keen-aruba-ii-midnight-navy-black/product/8805093/color/125201>
 because
they have no back strap to chafe.  Since pedaling without clips is pretty
much a forward motion, having just the front part as coverage, and pretty
solid coverage at that, works well for me.

I tend to wear these all the time during summer.  I would say the tread
lasts a year or so.  After awhile the mid part of the sole tends to get
softer and softer so that when you step on a rock you can really feel it.

Steve Seelig, DC

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/440ca167-c8fa-4f6c-9c30-acc297a24990%40googlegroups.com.