What size rings are you talking about? 36t-26t?

I've done it and didn't even replace or move the front derailleur down at
all, which gives a gap that does look a little weird. I did cut off the
teeth of a 49t larger outer ring to act as a guard, and eventually replaced
the 36t with a 39t for a bit more range. I thought the 36t-11t combo a bit
limiting.

I have a unused "Silver" 170mm crank w 35t, 24t if you are interested, at
slightly less than Riv pricing. I have other chain rings available and we'd
have to figure out a solution to the outer ring.

-Dave J in VA

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/21f392ea-67ea-414c-b856-307ffd80f3c6%40googlegroups.com.