Does anyone else make lugs besides Long Shen?

Henry James's website is still up; I suppose that means they're still in
business? But Lon Shen did customs, of course.

http://www.henryjames.com/bicyle-parts/bike-lugs.html

Back in the beginning, Grant used HJ lugs and crowns, IIRC.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 2:38 PM M Talley <mwtal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You've made me curious about this info having been mentioned earlier. I
> found this from earlier in the year RBW Owners Bunch but had no luck
> finding a Blagh entry:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-jLZY0dpWZ4/3YF_RVSCCgAJ
> A mention of a "post-Long Shen world" and the "instability of the lug
> manufacturers" came up during the discussion about the early GBW sample.
> I've always assumed that the recent use of fillet joints was as much cost
> driven as it was by the freedom needed in new designs coming forth. A
> slacker seat angle where it meets longer chain stays or junction of a
> curved second top tube not to mention curved-for-clearance single top tube
> joint are all non-standard in the lug vernacular.
> So this may be old news but what I found surprising in that link to the
> discussion joined by Richard Sachs. He is usually the calm voice. When True
> Temper called it quits it was his commentary "There's no crying in
> framebuilding. Notes from a cycling lifer on how to survive in the industry"
>
> http://www.handbuiltbicyclenews.com/c47-people-0/195-richard-sachs-theres-no-crying-in-framebuilding-0
> This made me think - yeah someone always steps in when there's a void. So
> (if this is true news) after all, was Long Shen indispensable? Who makes
> all of the creative newer design drop outs, fork tips and dropout lugs and
> crowns for All City, Surly, Tumbleweed etc? Perhaps the quality of Long
> Shen in the job of a more complicated and delicate lug isn't matched by
> anyone else. Why else would a Richard Sachs stockpile for the future?
>
> On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 8:38:05 PM UTC-4, Johnny Alien wrote:
>>
>> I seem to remember a Blahg not so long ago in which Grant spoke about
>> them fearing about the lug manufacturing stopping.  I remember he said that
>> they worked out something that made him feel a bit better.  A huge
>> stockpile of lugs or something? I can't remember but I do think this was a
>> concern so I am not shocked if it's true.
>>
>> On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 6:30:36 PM UTC-4, Bill Lindsay wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know anything about the details, or even if it is true.  If it
>>> is true, that sounds pretty scary for Rivendell, unless they've known about
>>> it and are proactively transitioning over to more lugless work.  Or maybe
>>> they have stocked up.  That's Rivendell's lug supplier.
>>>
>>> Bill Lindsay

>>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/1800159d-62c3-4c81-bfd3-dbad3340389e%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/1800159d-62c3-4c81-bfd3-dbad3340389e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*Still 'round the corner there may waitA new road or a secret gate,And
though we pass them by today,Tomorrow we may come this wayAnd take the
hidden paths that runTowards the Moon or to the Sun.*
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CALuTfgtA_J3rhMQZ-0_zv3YhTJtR8UMfYVptwPc5_0rKXauK7w%40mail.gmail.com.