Between a full manual and full automatic is stuff like autofocus and
aperture-priority. You could get a Minolta setup with aperture priority
pretty cheap - XD11 or X570, plus whatever lenses you were interested in.
They're built like tanks and have a world of lenses available to them. I
think the Minolta gear is exceptionally good and undervalued. I've been
shooting Minolta since I was 16 and still do to this day. I also shoot
Leica, Crown Graphic, Canon, etc. but the Minolta stuff is still around.