On Mar 29, 2010, at 12:55 AM, rob markwardt wrote:

On Mar 28, 3:08 pm, happyriding <happyrid...@yahoo.com> wrote:
On Mar 27, 1:15 pm, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:

  I wonder if they got flats on every ride?

I'm guessing yes.  I have an old 27" tire Univega that I used to ride
on the trails.  Didn't handle as well as the Bleriot but it did
fine...it did get a ton of flats though.  Si

Depends on how rocky the trails are. The trails around here have very little by way of rocks and I can ride on 700 x 28 or 26 x 1.25 tires with fewer flats than I get on the roads (there's almost never broken glass on the trails, but the roads hereabouts are littered with broken beer and liquor bottles tossed out of cars. Drinking while driving appears to be a significant subculture here). Other parts of the world will be different, of course.

Some of the folks on those rides were using tubulars. Jobst has written about hosting weekly patching parties at his house.