Well, I guess I'm late to the party, but I have a 52 Clementine so I'll throw
this out there anywayz, for future reference.
I've used a couple "knobby" tires on my Clementine. At first I tried some
Kendas (2.3ish Slant six I think?), but while great offroad, they made the
Clementine feel sluggish around town (a little heavy).
Currently I run a 2.1 Kenda Knobby up front & a Schwalbe similar to the stock
Kenda on the back. I really like this combination. Kenda's are good & cheap.
A little more expensive,  but a really good choice is the Continental Race
Kings (or Mountain Kings). I have these on my Ogre and they are great! Wide,
not too heavy and they roll really good on pavement. When the current tires go,
that's probably the direction I'll go.