The Philly Bike Expo <https://phillybikeexpo.com/> is coming up on Nov 2
and 3rd, and for the past 2 years there's been a fella who gives a seminar
each hour on bike locking and other safety tips for folks who ride on the
mean streets of Philly.  He's very entertaining, and goes through all the
things to think about in choosing a locking location, how to lock the bike,
the benefits of locking wheel skewers, you name it.  Not a direct answer to
your question.

My son who is now 10 and I have attended the past two years to listen to
his presentation.  Our favorite is when he describes folks on the street
who might be up to no good when you are cycling by as a single cyclist.
His advice when you come close to those folks is to turn around and yell
"Hey, Tommy," to give the impression there is someone else following you so
you're not as easy a mark.  By the time you've ridden by, it's too late for
them to figure out that Tommy ain't behind you.

So every now and then, when I'm out riding with my son, I yell "Hey Tommy,"
and he gets a good laugh.

Regardless of whether he's there, the Expo is fantastic and well worth
checking out.