I  apologize for all the typos in the above post; comes from typing on a phone.
I was interested in Grant's comment about overweight women and overweight
children; hard to think there wouldn't be some correlation, but again it could
vary with genetics. My mother was overweight as is my eldest sister, I less
than her & my youngest sister less than I. My mother would regularly do the
Atkins diet  lose 30lbs., gain it all back, then lose 50lbs. the next time only
to gain it back! Finally in her 60s her doctor diagnosed her as Diabetic; she
went on what we would describe as a ketogenic diet these days and finally
dropped to a more or less normal weight. I think the main reason she couldn't
maintain her weight loss and now suffers from dementia is she was never active,
she didn't ride bikes, she didn't do anything.

To Charlie and others who are discouraged by exercising & gaining weight rather
than losing it. I would say stick with it. As someone whose gone from very fit
to less so (purely based on my activity levels) a few times in my life, I would
say stay away from the scale it can be very misleading! A sudden increase in
physical activity will correspond to a burst in muscle growth; initially you
will build muscle faster than you burn fat & muscle weighs ~ 2x fat! So, it's
only natural to gain weight at first. The good news is bigger muscles need more
fuel and thus burn more calories, so while it may be slow sledding at first at
some point you will notice the weight loss will start to increase and finally
really start to pick up steam. You can accelerate the process with a Palio or
Keto diet, but if you stay with it, results will follow.
For me I stay away from the scale, it took 20 years, a wife, 2 kids & a very
stressful job to put on this weight, so I don't think it's healthy to think I
am going to lose it all over night. My better gauge is my waist line at my
heaviest I was a 38" waist, 4 or 5 years ago; without changing too much I am
sub 36" and slimming  noticeably faster now that I've increased my muscle mass.
Most importantly my results are due more to lifestyle changes as opposed to
strictly dieting, because of that I am more likely to stay with it and continue
increasing my fitness level and losing weight. I would say the best barometer
is your belt! Mine has notches every inch or so and  I am 3 notches down from
my biggest and getting better every day.