A set of 38mm Panaracer Paselas on Velocity A23 rims cleared the frame but
I had issues with standard caliper brakes on the front. Due to the
geometries involved and how the brake mounting bolt goes through both
caliper arms, the tire has clearance at the fork but hits the brake on the
front caliper. I switched out to a set of Dia Compe 610s (as Eamon
suggests) and fixed the problem. The Dia Compes have a very short mounting
bolt which only goes through the "C" mount for the calipers, so there's a
higher opening on the front part of the brake at the point where the
caliper arms cross.

--Ed C.