Fair enough, it's only freaky and inconsistent by modern standards I
suppose. That bit about the tubeset diameters makes a lot of sense, thanks.
Anyone have a list of what tube specs have been used and when? That would
be interesting to see.

It's way easy to find 27.2 as that's the most common current road standard.
It's not hard to find 26.8 per se, there just isn't much variety. Not that
you can't be happy with a Nitto post for the rest of your life, of course,
but that lugged one is neat and 27.2 only.

Eric, Velo Orange had Kalloy make them 300mm long one-bolt posts in a range
of weird sizes for $25 a pop. 25.0/4, 26.2/4/8, 27.0/2. Fantastic resource
for older bikes.