Nice looking bike John.  I used that CX-50 to build a New Albion Starling for a
relative and it is smooth unit, intended for cyclocross so very tough. I need a
lower gear than you because I have weak old legs.  I put a Salsa 26 in place of
the stock Campy 30 on a triple and went with an 11-36 rear 9 speed on
105/Synergy wheels I built. 26/36 works for me when going up long grades that I
otherwise would climb more quickly in a taller gear, and when I need to get up
a real wall of a hill. The Clem I just assembled for a friend has a 46/34/24
with that same 11-36 rear. It works well too.  I friction shift.  I’ve avoided
40 in back because it starts to get kind of heavy.  Even the 36 is noticeably
heavier than the 34 or 32 that I run on other bikes.

Happy trails to you!