Leah,

If I was to go with fenders on a bike again (including riding my rough
stuff), I would go metal. Plastic fender's only two advantages are 1.
cheaper; 2. easier to install. Metal fenders are (reported by folks here
and elsewhere that I well trust) 1. heartier; 2. quieter, when properly
installed, with leather washers et al; 3. lighter. The real trick seems to
be finding someone who will fuss with them to install them properly.

With abandon,
Patrick