My rule for tires, year round, is supple knobbies as wide as reasonably
fits and still clears mud/snow, detritus. If Rene Herse made wider tires
I'd ride their knobbies on all my bikes. As it is:

Quickbeam: 38mm Steilacooms (Rene Herse)
Hunqapillar: 2.1" Racing Ralph liteskin
Gus Boots Willsen: 2.8"  Nobby Nic Addix

Points to consider (all of which rule out less expensive tires for me)
- Supple rubber (both in type and thickness/thread count) conforms to
terrain, providing astounding grip.
- Knobbies pattered similarly to those on Rene Herse tires, with supple
rubber, ride surprisingly well on smooth, hard roads, and only get better
on the more fun stuff. Grin.
- A wider tire gives better control in loose stuff, be it sand, mud, or
sloppy snow. The idea of using a thin tire to cut through to the
under-surface is largely useless in varying conditions.

I hope that helps. Also, weight further back and off your front tire makes
the loose stuff far easier to ride. Rear wheel drives with weight, front
wheel floats and steers better without digging in and getting sloppy.

With abandon,
Patrick