Joe,

Some years ago, I bought a Topeak case for my phone that is structured to
connect to a holder on my handlebars.  I love the fact that I can easily
and stably  mount my phone.  Topeak, at the time offered a speedometer app
that was very simple.  This app -- Panobike+ in the current version -- has
been updated for the iPhone.  I am not able to speak to its availability
for Android phones.  If you find it available, it is simple and clear. Good
luck.

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA