Gotta agree with you. I have both friction- and index-shifting bikes, including
one bike with Campagnolo Ergo levers that I haven’t been on in a couple of
years. I enjoy them both, but when you’re getting tired at the end of a long
ride it is such a convenience not to have to hunt around for a lower gear when
the road tilts up.

I’ve had the experience far too many times of not shifting far enough into a
lower gear and then being plunged back to a higher gear when the chain seeks a
lower place. That never happens with index shifting.

Yes, even down-tube indexed levers can fail in ways that friction levers can’t.
Small parts with close tolerances can do that. However, in 30+ years of indexed
shifting I have never had a downtube shifter fail on me. I *have* had to
repair/refurbish Ergo levers (not that hard, really), but even then it was to
correct poor shifting, not because they failed.

--Eric N