I considered myself a racer in the 80s (as was Grant, but he was faster
than me from what I know), but I also toured and commuted by bike. I knew
about Bridgestone, but I really started paying attention to the company
when John Stamstad set the 24-hr mountain bike record on an XO-1 in 1991 or
2.  That got me interested in GP's designs, and by then I was living in
Walnut Creek so it was easy to follow the development of Rivendell. I
remember the early Readers had Campy and Simplex parts, among other
delights, and even a boomerang (replaced by hatchets now?).

As I got older and bars below my saddle became untenable, I paid more
attention to GP's writings about bike fit and comfort. My first purchase
from them was a set of 650B wheels and albatross bars so I could convert
one of my race bikes, which wasn't really being written about until RR #33.
That worked well, and I got hooked.

happy trails!
jim m
walnut creek, ca