In my case it has been a process towards becoming more willing to do stuff on
my bike. A couple of years ago, I was still having my wife put air in my tires,
whereas last night I changed my Cheviot from Choconorm handlebars and Sunrace
thumbies to Albatross bars and Silver bar end mounts and the new Silver 2
shifters that I bought back in November. I have the new shifter cables dialed
in enough to ride, and I will swing it by the bike shop to have them check the
shifting.
I still will buy the Silver 2 thumb mounts when they get here, but they will be
for my Bullmoosed Appaloosa.

I was commenting to my wife last night that I am much more confident and
patient with the bike now, mostly because Rivs are so nice to work on and I am
not so scared I am going to make the bike unrideable. Of course, having back up
bikes helps too, haha.