Thanks Garth, and everybody,

     Rather than futz around trying one or two thinner hangers, I think I
will go with the Paul Funky Monkey rear brake cable hanger to solve my
problem. More expensive but at least it will complement my Paul Touring
canti's.

   I really want to thank everyone here for chipping in with all your
advice, suggestions and experiences, you guys are the best!

   If this problem has been popping up since the Redwood, I wish Rivendell
had paid a bit more attention to the issue. But I can't say I haven't
enjoyed learning from everyone here on the forum how to best solve this
problem.

Thanks again everyone!

John