Mid-head tube to mid-seat tube makes more sense to me than the
parallel top tubes.  Imagine a frame built with only the diagonal
tube, no top tube or down tube.  If you grabbed the head tube and seat
tube and tried to twist them side to side so that they were not
parallel, the diagonal tube would be in the best place to resist that
force.  Moving that tube higher or lower on the seat tube would make
it less effective.  In a tandem, that is the function of a 'marathon'
tube that runs from the head tube to the middle of the rear seat tube
- it keeps the stoker's seat tube in plane with the head tube by
resisting twist.

Adding the down and top tubes back to that imaginary frame would keep
the seat and head tubes from flexing fore-and-aft, and keep the BB
stable under pedaling loads.

Most modern tandems followed Santana's lead and went away from using
the marathon tube.  They use a 'direct lateral' tube from the head
tube to the stoker's bottom bracket instead.  That arrangement is
better at keeping the captain's bottom bracket from swaying, and
allowed more convenient bottle placement (no telling which factor was
more important).  An oversized top tube is used to resist the twisting
forces.  That arrangement has no place in a single IMO, as BB
stiffness is not a real issue.  Calfee's CF tandems have no middle
tubes at all, they use huge top and boom tubes to keep everything
stiff enough.

The question to me is, how big does a rider or a touring load need to
be to need the extra stiffness of the diagonal tube?  At what point
does the weight of the diagonal tube become less than the extra
thickness / diameter of the top and down tubes needed to achieve
comparable stiffness in a plain diamond frame?

Moot point for me, I'd fit a 54 Hunka so no diagonal tube for me.

Bill