For what it's worth, Hugh, I think I'm on the same page with you.  Somebody
ordered a custom and a frame was built *almost* to spec, and the buyer
elected not to take that frame.  The seller elected to have another frame
made and offered up the reject at a discount, which somebody bought.

Is Rivendell incompetent?  No.
Were mistakes made?  Yes.
Did Rivendell make it right?  Yes.
Do the mistakes offend me?  No.
If I was Vaughn, would I have rejected the frame?  Yes.
Do the mistakes discourage me from buying products from Rivendell in the
future?  No.
Do I think there is any individual vendor of bicycle goods or services that
has never made a mistake of any kind?  No.
Is it my right to express outrage at anything that offends me?  Yes.
Is it my obligation to express outrage at everything that offends me?  No.
Do I think it is helpful to express my outrage?  Usually no.

Bill "nothing-to-see-here" Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA