I've put a lot of miles on a pair of Outdoor Research 3/4 Ferrosi pants -
liked them so much I just bought another pair. Check 'em out:
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens?or_product_type=117&product_list_limit=all
Pros: rugged, breathable in heat yet oddly comfortable in cool weather,
don't absorb a lot of water, dry fast, reasonably flat seams, plenty of
length below knee with a flexible elastic cord closure that can be left
open if it heats up; not noticeably noisy fabric when walking; Cons:
synthetic fabric may not appeal to some; fabric does pill a bit after a lot
of use; rear pockets could use zippers (which the full-length version of
this pant has), and zippered R side thigh pocket may be too small to be
very useful. I mostly ride in these or their shorts in warm weather since
deciding I'm done with Spandex. Full disclosure - I get OR stuff at a
discount since I work in Conservation so their stuff may be more attractive
to me than it is to you.

Slightly off-topic but related - can anyone recommend good knee-high socks
to wear with these for cooler weather?