I have an Appaloosa and made that same tire swap on mine. Mine is 700c, not
650b, but I'm not sure that makes a difference in terms of width/clearance.
I installed the widest SKS fenders Riv sells (B65 I think?) over the stock
Kendas. When I swapped to the 700x50 (2.0) Big Bens, I didn't need to mess
with the fenders at all. I have lots of clearance. The Big Bens measured
quite a bit undersize (on the stock Alex rims that came on the Riv-complete
Appaloosa).

Jonathan