As someone who's had both the Cheviot and the Clem L, I don't understand
the comments about the Cheviot being lighter or faster. My Cheviot was
neither compared to my Clem L, and it wasn't because of a difference of
part weight or the presence of a rack or not. The builds were almost
identical. I found the Clem L to be more springy and light (maybe not in
actual weight, but in pedal stroke sensation / effort).

However, it could have been the tires. The Cheviot had 2.0" Big Bens and
the Clem L had Compass Antelope Hills (~2.3"). The Big Bens are much
heavier and have more rolling resistance. Perhaps try a lighter, suppler
tire like the Antelope Hill or the Schwalbe G One?

As someone who owns an actually light bike (sub-20lb titanium road bike
with carbon fork and no cargo whatsoever), I really don't see making the
Clem L meaningfully lighter, unless you're talking about big differences
like "front and rear steel racks vs. no racks".

Ride characteristics of a frame and bike fit are just as important to your
speed as sheer bike weight.