Probably more than 10 years ago Grant had this huge, beat up saddle bag on
his commuter and he wrote a really funny piece about all the stuff that
accumulated in there.  I can't remember if it was in a Reader or the web
site.  There were normal bike things like tools and locks, but enough for
five different bikes.  Then there was crazy stuff like a big Channellock he
took home to fix his water heater and forgot about, cans of fish and all
kinds of other junk you would never need on a bike ride.  I'm sure it
weighed more than the bike.  It was tongue in cheek and even he admitted it
was ridiculous to haul around so much weight for no reason.   If I was good
at finding things on the internet I'd look for it, but I'm not.