Are you using commercial yeast or sourdough starter as your leavening?  And
what is the moisture content of the bread you are making?  Simply divide
the grams of water used by the grams of flour.

I make sourdough bread with a fairly high moisture content in the loaf
itself (70%) and bake it in a dutch oven, which develops a nice thick,
crunchy crust.  That does a pretty good job protecting the loaf, and I put
the cut side down on the counter.  That last a few days before the crust
gets *really* hard, but the inside is still soft.  Sometimes after a few
days I'll put the loaf in a sealed container (pyrex bowl with a lid) and
that softens the crust up enough to make cutting easier.

I've heard of using bags like this
<https://breadtopia.com/store/bamboo-bag-round/>, but have not felt the
need to try them out.

I am in Minnesota/Wisconsin and although it is usually drier in the winter,
it is still far more humid than your climate.  However you could try
keeping the cut side down, making a loaf with a higher moisture content
(especially since you are using whole wheat flour), and try building up the
thickness of the crust.

Mat
Recently biked home with a wimpy 5 pounds of flour