On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 5:03:47 AM UTC+8, Joe Bernard wrote:

> This is a really dumb question but I don't know the answer. I need to
> mount some fenders on my Frank Jones and y'all seem to use a big cutting
> tool for trimming the stays..which one do I buy? I have a Dremel and tried
> that once, but it was an ear-splitting hot mess. I just want to lop off the
> ends.

I use different tools for different kinds of stays:

   - For the Honjo/Berthoud "wraparound" kind, I use a small pipe cutter

<https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Tools-Pipe-Tube-Cutters/1-8-in/N-5yc1vZc4ftZ1z1b3oo?>.

   Pipe cutters slice through the aluminum stays easily and leave nice ends
   that seldom require additional finishing.
   - For the Planet Bike/SKS "stick up" kind, I break out my angle grinder
   and eyes & ears, to make quick work of the stainless steel stays. Trim and
   finish with just one tool.