Leah:

I’ve ridden SP hubs in the rain many times. The seals are fine. On those rides,
the air inside the hub was the same temperature as the air outside.

However … If you have your bike sitting in a nice, warm garage or living room
and wheel it out into a cold, wet day, the air inside will contract as it cools
to match the outside. As it does, it will tend to want to draw air into the
hub, and along with that air will come moisture. SON hubs deal with this by
having seals *and* a device that lets air in to equalize pressure but keeps
moisture out. SP hubs don’t; they just have seals.

As I mentioned, this is only an issue when you go directly from warm/dry to
cold/wet. If you put your bike outside for a few minutes on a cold dry porch to
let the hub acclimate before it gets wet (or if you don’t do the warm/dry to
cold/wet thing), SP hubs will be fine. If you head out into a warm monsoon
rain, pressure compensation probably wouldn’t be an issue.

SON is made in Germany, where I expect many riders keep their bikes inside the
house and then go directly out into the rain. The pressure compensating feature
probably means more to them than to someone from, say, Arizona.

Hope this helps! I know Peter White is on this list, so perhaps he can shed
some more light on this.

--Eric Norris
campyonly...@me.com
www.campyonly.com