True, we can't control every harmful factor, but I figure it would be silly not
to avoid those that I can easily avoid.
I can avoid absorbing chemicals into my body by simply not buying or wearing
sunscreen. I'll probably still use it in certain situations were I know I'm
just going to be more or less stationary in the sun in the middle of the day
with no shade (outdoor concert for example), but as I've gotten older (even
before Covid) I prefer to avoid these types of venues anyway.
If I avoid riding middle of the day, or organize my ride in such a way as to
maximize the natural  elements along the way that will shade me; trees,
buildings, etc. I find I very rarely need sunscreen. Especially since moderate
exposure is a healthy source of vitamin D.
Humans have been living in the sun for thousands of years (and probably been
putting sunscreens on for almost as long) but there are those things that we
don't find out were bad for us for years and years until people start dying of
cancer or whatever. So I'll continue to use sunscreen sparingly if at all.
I know Leah prefers to ride at night anyway; probably partly because of the sun
element. I am guessing that maybe she's looking to expand her 11 mile loop.
Which might entail leaving earlier and therefore being exposed to increased
sunlight.
When I was riding to work last year, in July thru early September I would stay
late at work, another hour or so. At that point I knew that the angle of the
sun would start getting low enough in the sky that the bamboo along the West
side of the Katy trail or the trees would keep me out of the direct sun and
when I was in the sun it would be at my back.
Basically, a little forethought can be your most effective tool.