On Apr 8, 8:08 am, "clevewh...@gmail.com" <clevewh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I used my Rambouillet last year for a small tour and found the brakes
> to be insufficient - too flexy. If I use it again I'm going to switch
> to Paul Centerpulls.  Everything else worked fine as the Ram is not
> too lightweight and, in my opinion, able to carry a moderate load.

Touring is my favorite subject!

My wife has been on 4 long tours with her Ram heavily loaded.  She’s
had it since 2002 and is now the only bike she rides for all
circumstances.  And dare I admit to this group, she never puts
anything wider than 27c tires on it.  (Ruffy Tuffy).  Actually with
fenders she has no choice, nothing larger fits, but even if she did,
why mess with something that works?

The only negative issue she has ever reported is that TCO is pretty
severe with the fenders on.  (Hers is a 58c.)  This sometimes can
cause her a problem biking very slowly up a steep dirt road with all
that gear.  If the gravel is soft she’ll get off and walk because of
this.  But she has never experienced a ride or mechanical issue
whatsoever.  Side pull brakes have been fine.  She doesn't ever even
seem to get flats, I know for sure neither of us have flatted on our
last two tours (again I’ll credit the Ruffy Tuffys pumped to 100psi).
I have never had to true a spoke in either of her wheels.  Maybe she’s
just lucky, but the Ram is a great and stable bike, and I don’t think
you should be afraid to trust your on a tour.  (My bikes through the
years have always been problematic - that’s why I finally got a Riv in
2007.)

One other piece of advice I can offer up after 18 self supported
tours.  Stability (and lack of shimmy) for me always equates to
avoiding putting too much weight too high on the rear rack.  Back/
front weight ratios do not seem to be that important, nor does the
height of things on the front rack, or even what I have packed where
in the packs.  But consistently I notice that if I pile a wet tent and
other gear too high on my rear rack the steering get squirrely.  This
has been the case for me on several different bikes, even my new
Riv.