So.... I bought a bottle of NFS (Nixfrikshun) for my trust Saluki, now
dressed up in brandy new TA rings.  I followed the instructions to put a
drop on 12 links and spin the chain backwards 12 times.  There was no sign
of any lube on the big ring, so I added 4 more drops and spun 12 times.
 Still no sign of any lube.  Added 4 more drops & spun.  No sign of any
lube, but this time I lightly rubbed a finger across the chain and could
feel just the thinnest film of oil.  Went out for an hours ride on dirt
roads.  The bike ran quietly, or as quietly as tires can roll over loose
dirt, shifted flawlessly; certainly no chain squeak. Returning I checked
the rings & chain and saw a small amount of lube on the rings.  No visible
dirt.  Wiped the chain and the big ring down.

I'm definitely impressed and thanks to Robert Tilley for the suggestion.

Michael