Thanks, all, first of all for the bird ID and the link, and secondly for
answering my naive question about snapshotting birds in takeoff.

I think that the birds in question are indeed snowy egrets. Interesting;
they're new to the area, or at least much more common now. I saw none last
year. I first noticed the herons, IIRC, about 2013 or 2014; again, before
that, not in evidence.

I wonder if climate change (generally, not just here) explains their
arrival. Changes in habitat have certainly made the quail go away; they
used to be very common 20 years ago.

At least 2 sorts hawks are also common here, the most common being the red
tailed hawk.

I recall how robins started showing up in spring in my parents' backyard
some 10 years ago; before then, I'd not seen one. And the long-tailed
grackles (?) seem to have appeared and disappeared in the last 6 or 7 or so
years.