We encounter two common scenarios in the Sierra foothills.

1. Fires dispersed across CA and generally bad air quality. When this happens
the air doesn't usually smell like smoke, but it looks bad. I have to decide
whether to ride based on AQ data--unhealthful for... When I was a teen in LA
this was routine without fires.

2. Fire nearby in the Sierra. Smells like smoke and AQ data is not really
applicable. The smoke sinks overnight and shifts to rise as the day heats up.
Often some minimal riding can be done by paying attention to winds and time of
day.

As seasons go fire season smoke is more limiting than the summer heat.

Carl