Paul

I agree with you that Nitto designed approx 1mm clearance for the hex nut
to shelf.  I also agree it's a marginal design, and could be improved, but
it does work.

I should have cautioned Leah to look for 'excessive play' in the nut to
shelf which allows the nut to almost rotate fully.  Alternatively, one
could use feeler gauges to verify the play.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 11:56:49 PM UTC-4, Paul Brodek wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Thanks, Rob. I’m pretty small potatoes, but I’m flattered that you think
>>> I have a social media presence. 😊
>>>
>>> Paul, I know, I feel conflicted, too. I really should talk to Riv but
>>> can’t bring myself to do it. I ordered the stem at a time that Riv was
>>> struggling and needed business. Instead of getting it through SomaFab, I
>>> had Riv order it. I just can’t make them handle it! I’v gone to Soma, and
>>> if the Soma route doesn’t work, I’ll be spending another $130 on the same
>>> stem, I suppose (when it comes back in stock). And what of my bar? I have
>>> to hope it’s not compromised from the damage the stem inflicted. Sigh.
>>>
>>> I know user error could certainly be a factor here, but honestly, I
>>> doubt if I’m capable of over-tightening a bolt. And it’s pretty
>>> straightforward how to clamp stem to bar, so I am confident I did that
>>> right, too. Unbelievable as it is, I think it’s just a faulty stem.
>>>
>>> It’s 2020 - we’re used to being disappointed!
>>> Leah
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>> On Jun 26, 2020, at 9:47 AM, Paul Brodek <pcb....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Having been in the bicycle components business, I'm a little out of
>>> sorts thinking about how to address this post.
>>>
>>> I'll start out by saying that I think Nitto is one of the best parts
>>> mfrs in terms of design, QC and attention to detail.
>>>
>>> I'll also say that I've used Nitto stems with this design for decades,
>>> both on my own bikes and hundreds/thousands of builds/repairs, and never
>>> seen this happen before. There has always been enough space between the nut
>>> and ledge to allow slight rotation of the nut. But I've never seen the nut
>>> as much as score the ledge, much less wear away enough metal to allow the
>>> nut to rotate.
>>>
>>> From being on the mfr side, I know that the observations of one, or even
>>> many, humans to hundreds/thousands of examples may mean little compared to
>>> the hundreds of thousands of units the mfr has produced and shipped. Well,
>>> my saying "I've never seen that before" means little in the big picture. Me
>>> or someone else saying "I've seen that often" would mean something. "I've
>>> never seen that happen before" doesn't mean much, because there's always
>>> the chance the item in question has QC issues, and maybe there's a first
>>> time for everything. But even though I know my saying "I've never seen that
>>> before" doesn't necessarily have much meaning, I do want to say I've never
>>> seen that happen before. I did say I'm out of sorts here...
>>>
>>> I've always thought the nut/ledge dimensions and fit were sub-optimal,
>>> but I never saw it cause a problem, and I assumed Nitto designed it that
>>> way for a reason. But I always wished that fit were better/tighter, that
>>> the nut had very little room to rotate. I always thought the ledge should
>>> 1-2mm closer to the top of the nut, and maybe a little taller/deeper as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Looking at it kinda forensically, I can think of a few possibilities
>>> 1. Bolt hole is drilled too low
>>> 2. Hole position is correct, but casting is off, with too much space
>>> between nut/ledge, or ledge is too shallow to resist nut turning
>>> 3. Stem hardness is below spec, softer metal more susceptible to
>>> allowing nut rotation
>>> 4. Nut is undersized, so too much space between nut/ledge
>>> 5. Bolt was significantly over-torqued during installation