We've been there with Velocity wheels, a different wheel although the same
problem.  What happened to us (on our tandem) was that  the inner tube
escaped through the crack just enough to cause an explosive blowout with of
course instant pressure loss.  Luckily we were on level pavement and
slowing down for an upcoming "ess" curve and were able to stop
uneventfully. Had it happened  negotiating the curve, results would have
been much different.  It ruined the tire BTW.

We were riding a MUP between condos and a golf course,  the blowout was
loud enough to echo off the buildings (gunshot loud) that we may have
caused some golfers to miss their shot!!!

Velocity has been very good about either replacing the entire wheel or
sending a new rim to our LBS to rebuild under warranty.