I had the composite (chopped up) type on Alba bars and found that using a
layer of gaffers tape under them provided enough "tooth" to hold firm and I
did not have to glue the grips.  Left mine unvarnished, but did use an oil
(I think Obenaufs) that protected the cork a bit and soaked in so they were
not slick.

Greg
Seattle