Hi all, posting this again after I realized the new view in Google groups
was sending my posts into the void. Hopefully switching to old has fixed
the problem!

I am really interested in buying a Sackville Baggabond (their current
large) Saddlebag, but also really would like to run it on a bike with no
rack. I currently have 2 bikes in my quiver--one is a way overloaded,
over-fendered, over-racked cargo bike. The other is my "poor man's
Rivendell", a 1986 Schwinn Cimarron that I am running fully stripped
down--no racks, fenders, etc. It's just a fun cruising bike.

I was drawn to the Sackville bags both for their aesthetic and because (in
theory) they will allow me to keep this a rackless bike, which appeals to
me as the yin to the yang of my overloaded cargo bike. The goal would be
using the Sackville to commute with on fair weather days (13" MacBook Pro,
lunch, light change of clothes), as well as any other misc uses it may have
around town. Also, they look good :)

All of that being said, I have not yet come across anyone running one of
these large bags without a rack. After speaking to Will at RBW, he told me
that he would expect the bag to sag after some time, and so to size down,
as right now I just barely meet the 13" gap between saddle loops and top of
tires. I'm 6'1", 89cm PBH (somewhat shorter legs for my height), riding a
22" frame as they call it in their catalog. I've got a decent chunk of
seatpost showing, but really don't see my saddle moving much higher!

Can anyone give some experience on running these rackless? I'd hoped that
the hard bottom layer would prevent too much sagging, but maybe that's not
the case? If I do need some support for the bag, I'd really love to run
something like a Carradice Bagman support rather than a full blown rack,
but again haven't come across a Large on one in searching posts. Any
experience, thoughts, wisdom, stories, jokes...would be welcome. I want to
make this work!

Last thought--in theory I could go for the HappiSack BUT--they don't have
Olive in stock, which if I'm going to spend over $200 on a bag, I want it
to be my preferred color, AND in the past, I have always regretted not
buying the bigger bag, all else being equal.

Thanks!
Max