I was sort of surprised upon buying my BMC monster cross that Mike Varley specs
Tektro Oryxs, but honestly I’ve had good experiences with them. On my dad
bike/commuter (a heavily customized Jamis Aurora), I have the Oryxs with Kool
Stop dual compound pads and I’ve had no problem stopping down steep grades with
40 pounds of stuff in the rain. I’ve since upgraded my Monster Cross to Dia
Compe 980s (mostly aesthetic reasons), but for a bike that I ride hard year
round regardless of weather, the Oryxs are a good value.